Thread: Pvp Mage build
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #41
EdwardWarlock
Zombie

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: Edward_Warlock
Current Level: Enchanted Warlock 8x, my other players are just production whores.
Server: Apoline
EdwardWarlock is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EdwardWarlock

Mage questions! I love it!

Yeah, you all have very valid points.
I myself, have been playing my Enchanter from the jump, I've reset points numerous times, and I've PvP'd a bunch. So I'll just give you my spill on PvP:

Lesson 1: Never PvP a Paladin above 75. You can't kill them under any circumstances, unless you are 85+ with a BK wand (and it will still be hard). They can't kill you either if you have good equips, but they will outlast you.

Lesson 2: INT means all. Try to find gear with INT boost to jack up your MDMG.

Lesson 3: PvP under 60 is tough and you will surely die, due to the fact that you have nothing to stop someone from rushing you. After 60, you get Drain Mind (Fear), Frost Nova (extra AOE damage), and Chain Cast (chuck those sniper spells back to back without cool down).

Lesson 4:
Enchance you gear for maximum protection. END is good, but a fighter will carve through it in about 2-3 attacks. If you can, ask around about a fighter's DEF at your level and enhance your gears to match it (or get really close to it). I costs a bundle, but you will never be an effective pvp Enchanter unless you spend some serious gold (ask FatalLace she got crazy items). It took me a while to figure out, but I hung around Uruga for hours writing down different armor statistics to find out how much DEF a Scout, Warrior and Paladin gets from their armor at certain intervals, and then with +9 gears. I assume my opponents are enhanced, so I do damage calculations based on that before the fight. If he/she isn't wearing a SparkCash suit, you can pretty much gauge their DEF depending on the clothes somewhat (blue boots=lvl 60 ish, purple/white boots=lvl 80-ish)....Which leads to:

Lesson 5:
Enhance your weapon! Haven't seen a good pvp Enchanter that didn't have his/her weapon +9. That extra damage rips right through your enemies' defense, and you'll need it. Thank goodness every other class has a slightly lower magic defense rating than mages, because it helps in destroying them.

Lesson 6:
Critical helps. I played with the SPR build and it seems like the criticals weren't coming like they should. Switch to INT and the random criticals came about the same rate (in my opinion), but I did a lot more damage due to the extra INT. I found some excellent gears with high INT and backup END/DEX and I +9'd them. Archers will nail you regardless (high DEX), but Fighters with axes, Clerics with hammers, and Mages with wands tend to miss a lot more often when the DEX on gears goes above 70+. END will help you survive attacks that normally kill mages in 1 or 2 hits, but only for one extra hit or two if you get lucky, so time those restones/pots accordingly.

Lesson 7:
Kiss your keyboard if you get back to back criticals in pvp. You'll be lucky if this happens, because your opponent will either be dead or close. Remember which spells do the most damage and the casting times for each, and which spells can be cast while running to buy time while in cool down for other spells if you your opponent survives your initial onslaught.

Lesson 8:
Don't cast Nova or Inferno unless you got the HP to do so. I've killed many a mage by standing outside the blast radius and using sniper spells (Magic Blast, Fire Bolt, Fireball) while they set up the spell(s). Most fighters HP are so high that they won't care and they'll rush in and Devastate your ass, and most mages are good as dead afterwards. I normally let them chase me to a corner, fear them, let them run in a tight spot (so they don't run too far outside of the AOE blast radius), cast Nova, Chain Cast, Inferno, Nova, and Inferno again. You can even throw in some Magic Burst in between this combo if they are close already, and you have +9 gears, and some HP potions. A fighter around the same level range as you will be close to dying, even with a restone. Don't try this with archers though, because they can pelt you with arrows from outside the casting range like a mage because of the distance factor.

Lesson 9:
Practice. You're going to die....alot. Find out what works for you, in terms of combos, and what to do when you miss or you go into cool down, and how to use the status spells (Mana Burn, Purge, Stifle, Fear, Spell Steal, etc.) correctly. Find out the best way to cast AOE's because they are time consuming to set up and most players won't care because you so squishy. Prove them wrong and dance over their dead bodies.

* I am only heard by those who will listen. *

Edward_Warlock on MySpace

Last edited by EdwardWarlock; 03-18-2009 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: Added some points.