Old 03-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Jikanu
Lizardman

In-Game Name: Jikanu
Current Level: 46
Server: Teva
Jikanu will become famous soon enoughJikanu will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Hraesvelg View Post
That may be a goal of some humans, and it is laudable, but to say that humanity itself has some sort of ultimate goal is missing the mark. There is no fate, no ultimate end point. We are what we make of it.

If you want to have that goal, boffo. More power to you. My goal might be to have sex with the most women possible, or to acquire the most wealth, or to write the perfect sonata. I think life can be summed up like this: "Your mileage may vary."
good point. but humanity seems to be working together to progress. we always have been, even though it's just for our own good at first glance. for example, no matter your lifestyle, you'll most likely have a job, working to provide some form of service, or thinking to solve a problem. that will cause an advancement of some sort, when the company is working as a whole. that advancement will snowball. for example, do you think the first man to make fire was thinking "if i do this, i'll change the world"? no, he was more likely than not thinking "i wonder what will happen if i rub these sticks together..." Therefore, even if it's unwittingly, we all play a part in some form of advancement, whether it be philosophical, ecological, technological, political, whatever.

Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
God's "decision" isn't going to help us.

Sorry.
what exactly do you mean? your comment doesnt make sense to me. i'm simply saying there's no point in killing the prisoner. the death penalty just ends things. as previously stated by hrae, new evidence comes up all the time. however, there's no way to be 100% sure. plus, as i said before, the death penalty is more expensive than feeding the prisoner. i was simply saying that no human has the right to take that of another, no matter who the person. unless your life, or the life of another is in danger, you shouldn't kill, therefore giving a moral reason to stop it along with the logical one.