View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #58
moparisthebest
Mushroom Fighter

Current Level: 6x
Server: Apoline
moparisthebest is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
You seem to be repeating your arguments over and over again. Not everyone said profanity was 100% offensive. But it does clearly have an extensive list of adverse implications in its' implementation in speech and writing. These are not written in stone and they will vary upon the situation.

Yes you're right about that. But in any large society it's easier to censor swearing, alcohol, offensive TV and other potentially harmful things largely on the whole, than to attempt to filter swearing based on each and every unique context. Moderators on this forum do not have the kind of time to read through each individual post and make fair and well weighted judgements. In larger society, many laws can seem inconvenient and impractical at times, but even so, a government will prefer to apply its' law consistently so the system doesn't come crashing down. Believe me, leaving cracks in any system will lead to a collapse of order quicker than you know. FiestaFan aims to prevent excessive profanity as much as possible. If profanity in a 'decent' context were used too excessively, than FiestaFan must be consistent with its' ruling against excessive swearing. It prevents uproar from the side of people who excessively swear inappropriately asking "why is he allowed to do it, what's the difference." It is seriously time consuming to constantly have to deal with every individual with the same question over and over (stickies do naught). It's easier and serves a larger majority to consistently rule against excessive swearing.

It seems to me you've only been arguing the same points over and over again. You don't construct your argument further from people's thoughts and views, or even re-evaluate your argument the slightest. You hardly argue or discuss any of the fine points made by the people posting here. I admire the determination and persistence, but you gotta realise how stubborn and close minded you're being in this discussion.

Perhaps you think your view is an absolute and universal truth, and that's why you haven't been moved in the slightest by people's posts here. If that is the case, than there really is nothing that can be done. Personally I think that arguing with such a stubborn attitude is unconstructive and self defeating.
I think you are a bit mistaken here. I've read the posts here and I try to answer them with detail. Although I don't answer every post at once, I try to give some reply. It is very time consuming if I gave replies to every post here. If you think I'm explaining the same point over and over again, that may be true but I try to explain my opinions. I'm not into law and debating so I'm not an expert at providing a well thought out and convincing explanation.
But saying that I think my view is an absolute and universal truth is something I don't appreciate. I don't think my views are all correct and I take in people's opinions. There is no right or wrong; it's just the way people see things.

You were talking of linguistics? Excessive swearing in my opinion does not affect your verbal/literature skills or the ability for good reasoning. Swear words don't contribute to a lack of verbal skills. Swear words in the end are just words that come out of people's mouth. Kids can swear all they like, but it doesn't mean that they can't do well in literature and explain with thoughtful ideas. There are many poets, authors, lawyers etc that definitely have succeed in language skills, but do you think they've never sworn in their life?
As for keeping control of the actions of the community you're absolutely right but weren't we here discussing the effects of swearing?