View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
Lady-Loki
sane, so says the voices

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!Tournaments Won: 4

In-Game Name: Lady_Loki | Lady_Raine | Lady_Leilani | Lady_Danae | Lady_Julietta
Current Level: this changes more often than I care to update this detail
Server: Teva (main) Epith (secondary) other 2 (fallback)
Lady-Loki has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by MaxOff View Post
A great Definition of what Gambling is. (Look for others goolgle "define: gambling")

So lets see if that Definition fits on Remi's Rare Find's.

wagering money or something of material value
U can do both, u can wager a fixed amount of SparkCash or 3 Items u won before.

on an event with an uncertain outcome
It is fully uncertian.

with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods.

Yep the only intend is to win material goods, the payshop items.

So it looks like Remi's Rare Find's is indeed Gambling.

Edit:
So the next Question is if its a form of Gambling that is appropriate for kids to play.
With gambling there is a chance the outcome will be zero return on the investment. No guarantee of ROI.

With Remi you will receive goods for your investment. A guaranteed ROI.

It could just as easily have been built as a "Surprise" Box purchase and you would still get something from the box for your purchase price. Instead, to make it more cute and animated they made it look like a gumball machine.

If Outspark changes it to a "Surprise" Box purchase with the outcome results unaltered would that make those who see it as gambling less bothered?

Honestly, if you want to get nit-picky on what constitutes gambling or not you could throw a boatload of everyday perfectly legal matters into the mix
  • insurance: betting on getting sick or injured?
  • 401K: betting on that baby growing with returns on the stock & bond options invested in?
  • Taking a matter to court (sue an individual or company): hoping to win that case and get a monetary settlement?
  • Extended warranties on electronics (or other goods): betting on a failure that you will want replaced?

Really, if you want to call it gambling then take the money you could spend on a Remi Rare Find and get a lawyer to sue Outspark. Bet you get a zero ROI on that one.

Please click my Dragon Eggs to help my babies along.

Join the FiestaFan Folding@Home team! Details, questions and comments HERE
And, just for the heck of it, you can visit my mini city to help my population grow:
<--youarehere