View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #19
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
Reading Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Fantasy with dark undertones, set in a world/worlds where the stage of war is the way of life. One thing I always read in reviews about this series are the reviewers raving about the characterization. I'd have to agree.

The characterization in the book is so powerful that you can identify as soon as the scene shifts, just who the focus changes to and the characters are so gripping and believable that despite the multitude of characters in the books, you'll get to know them all. There are so many plot-threads to keep a hold of with different characters in different places, that some readers unaccustomed to it may get lost, but nonetheless manages to come together in the most beautiful way. Believable and exciting action scenes, intrigue, amaaazziinngg characters, the books come highly reccommended. Saving up to get the first 3 books, I unknowingly started reading the fourth first >_>

__

Least favorite books would have to be the vampire series by Stephanie Meyer (don't remember the name of the series) It's not that bad per se, but after reading what some people were writing about it and what some people were saying, I expected a little bit more than what I actually got.

I found the characters impossible to identify with, -spoiler-impossibly handsome+beautiful+rich+omnipotent+sparkly+ageless demi-gods who cavort in sunlight and wrestle mountain-lions. Meyer's attempts to build Bella's character seemed a bit weak, her liking of classical music (not sure if I remember this right) [and some other media not normally liked by her peers] just seemed like poorly done name-dropping to try to create a 'unique' character. The only other character trait I noticed was clumsiness and the ability to somehow make every male around her fall in love with her.
-spoiler-

And of course, falling in love with the Gary S- ....Edward Cullen.

The writing could have also used some (a lot ) of working on but it did the job, it didn't help that Bella ended up

-spoiler-absolutely perfect herself with perfect control and lolwtfpowerslol!along of course with her impossibly genius/perfect/AHMAAAAZZZIIINNGGGG!!!! vampire-baby, whos birth scene btw remains at the top of my most horrific scenes in fiction. -spoiler-

The book was by no means the worst I've ever read, but it didn't do much for me either.

Last edited by Ivramire; 09-27-2008 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: another spoiler tag