Thread: Deity Existence
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #36
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
As has been mentioned, belief is the only thing that holds it together. Depending on the individual, it will override anything that is put against it. Some things can't really be changed.

I'd say probability is a moot point. Even if the odds of there being a omniscient/omnipotent being were 0.00000000000000000 ad infinitum....1 % it wouldn't invalidate or prove if there was actually one or not. I think that science is open to change which is one of it's fundamental strengths, of course, change that is verified by evidence. Who knows, they might find something that credits the existence of a god.

There are those who hold the belief that the Bible is to be taken figuratively, not literally. A lot of things would make more sense then, but that's kinda moot. Religious books were written in a different time and place, the modern versions of religions have changed to adapt with the times. Example-the Bible mentions that pork and wearing clothes of different (materials?) was forbidden, but that's usually not beholden to now.

There will always be violence due to differences and intolerance. That is true. However, I think that the majority of religiously-linked violence wasn't due to a clash of belief itself, but that religion was used as the excuse and front for the violent action. The religions/gods themselves are full of contradictions but you have to take the way it is practiced not preached into account. Most religions on a whole advocate understanding (selective as it may be) and tolerance but it is rarely practiced.

(hooray for barely-readable response)