Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #21
Meteo
Mini Pinky

In-Game Name: Meteo
Current Level: dis hat maid of yellow kek~
Meteo will become famous soon enough
MMO Lingo

Originally Posted by Southern-Majesty View Post
With all that said, I am not familiar with a lot of this gaming terminology, so please do not think I am stupid for asking
Hi Majesty I think asking is exactly what makes you not stupid!!

Lingo and terminology varies a little from game to game, so you might hear things being said differently, let me see if i can add my two cents, maybe you've heard some of these other terms.

Grinding: I think it's been explained, but i've also seen people calling it partying. Like as in "Want to party?" In FFXI Online, no one said grind ._. dunno why.

You'll see a few other acronyms and terms that usually mean the same thing across all MMOs

LFP - looking for party

DoT - Damage over Time (like Poison)

DPS - Damage per Second. This is a more acurate way to determine weapon/spell strength.. well compared to max damage.

Aggro - you probably know this one...when u walk within a mob's agro range, it automatically goes for the kill with j00. As you level up, agro radius goes down, and eventually disappears.

Hate - VERY important in MMOS as you might now by now. If you're a fighter (tank) Your sole purpose is to maintain hate so others stay alive and function well. As a Mage, you want to cause top damage while keeping being #2 in the hate list. Taking hate from the tank in the party is n00bish and annoying, but yes it can be fun . Clerics build much hate by healing but should be #3 on the hate list, so if tank loses and mage dies. Cleric is safe to raise Mage while Tank recovers hate. Anyway.. for Hate, more than to know what it means, it's important to understand it ^^

Tanks (ppl who are built to take hits, primarily the fighters in fiesta

DDs - Damage Dealers (Mages and Archers, in most games you'll have more meleeing choices)

Clean Pull - Using a long range attack to draw out the desired mob out of a group of enemies. You might've seen this, as it's usually necessary at the end of the Mara KQ

You might hear people in more organized, more difficult events talking about difffernt kinds of pulls like a sac pull, or other things like that, if you ever come across things you don't understand by all means repost or ask me ingame ^^.

I think most of us appreciate real people like you and we will always be willing to help

Good luck and see you at OB!

Last edited by Meteo; 08-23-2007 at 01:56 PM..