View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #19
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation
I transformed from an atheist to an agnostic. The reason was, believe it or not, physics. The more I learnt, the more it struck me that there are something / many things out there that we don't quite know or, perhaps, ever will: the dark matter that surrounds astro-bodies, the black hole which supposedly occupies the centre of our galaxy... Dark matter is "dark" because it does not interact with "our" matter - it's undetectable directly by our devices. We found and now knew it was there because the physics and maths did not add up if we assumed it weren't. This alone changed my belief in "No God" completely.

As for Creationism, I still maintain that it is not a scientific theory. Its latest reincarnation (Intelligent Design) was no good, either. It failed many criteria which constitute a scientific theory. The most obviously violated criterion is Occam's Razor which states that the invocation of a supernatural being in forming the basis of the claim must not be employed. I'm not saying that believing in a Creator is intellectually lazy but science must be separated from religion because if we stop asking questions, we will not advance. Creationism and its cousins, in effect, attribute everything we see, think, know, etc. to the doings of an almighty being. Recall that Galileo was forced to deny his newly found and correct heliocentrism because of the enormous influence of the church which taught that our universe was geocentric. This, among various other examples, was precisely why a religiously motivated teaching would hinder progress.

That said, there is a higher being, I'm sure, but perhaps He didn't do everything. Like an inventor, you make a product, which continues producing other things. You yourself haven't made the products that your creation produces. Given this series of arguments, we can reasonably say that God, perhaps, created something (perhaps certain laws of nature) that governed the flow of life which was and is and will be responsible for everything around us. Now that's a new fork of Creationism I just spontaneously devised.

About the Big Bang, we now know and can explain EVERYTHING that happened about 10^(- 49) seconds after its conception (if it did happen). The mystery lies in that 10^-49s interval, which is now thought to be exisitng in a totally different environment in which our current knowledge of maths and physics did not apply (in short, things behaved in an odd manner at that time, which ceased soon afterwards). You, too, might want to ask if 1 plus 1 was actually 2 during that mysterious period.

And finally, the LHC. Great news!

Let me assure you that it may malfunction (uh oh...) but rigorous assessments indicated that even if a problem arises (let's hope it won't), the duration will be so short that a black hole won't have time to form. This is the word from the CERN scientists, so take it or leave it.

have a nice day. ^^

EDIT: No, koager, we did not evolve from monkeys. We came from apes. lol... they aren't the same so if you say monkeys, they will have reasons to argue back.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by lamchopz; 09-10-2008 at 01:04 AM..