Thread: Deity Existence
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #29
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vasu View Post

1. It's only a contradiction for an omnipotent being. None of us can make a circle with corners because that is a contradiction in terms. But each and every one of us can make an object so heavy that we cannot lift it. Does that make me more powerful than god? So that's in effect saying, "God can do anything, except that which he cannot do", which is a waste of words.
God can do anything. Therefore he can create something he cannot lift while being able to lift it. Don't ask how. It will blow your mind.

2. "God is beyond logic, and can therefore not be discussed using logic." Even this statement is derived by simple logic. Logic drips through every implication, and every inference made. Nothing "transcends" logic.
I see no correlation between that sentence being logical and the executive conclusion that every implication and inference is also logical + that nothing transcends logic. Maybe we just haven't found that something yet

Some paradoxes themselves seem to defy logic until the sometimes obvious solution presents itself.

3. Yeah, and making a whole universe out of nothing is really logical. See rebuttal 1 as well.
See ''God can do anything.''

Also, god cannot be omnipotent and omniscient at the same time. It's explained by this handy little verse I picked up from "The God Delusion":

Can omniscient God, who
Knows the future, find
The omnipotence to
Change His future mind?
Who says he/she/it can't see forever into the future and have the ability to change his/her/its mind? Maybe there is no need to change the original decision if it's always the right one in the first place?

And of course if anybody would care to answer the "What created God?" question, that would be nice too.
See ''Wasn't God always there?''

If you are a believer in a religion, I'd think that science need not necessarily apply. Deities and religion are a convenient way of explaining everything in a neat package that is acceptable and fair while reducing the world to terms that are easy to accept. Anything and everything to a true believer can be explained by "Because it is.'' an argument that is of course unsatisfactory to skeptics.

I'm not a believer in any religion myself. There might be a God, there might not. I personally fail to see the point over all the arguing back and forth over something that might forever remain unresolved and that seems to have
no clear impact on my life.

Edit: I'd have voted for ''There may be a god/gods, but so far there is no proof of their existence.'' but it doesn't really fit for me. I'd be more ''''There may be a god/gods, but who the heck really knows?''

Last edited by Ivramire; 03-30-2009 at 05:40 PM..