Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Diydiva81
Little Hob

In-Game Name: Chiaroscuro
Current Level: 53
Server: Bijou
Diydiva81 is on a distinguished road
Fave Comics/Graphic Novels

This was inspired by a similar thread I caught on Supernaturale's Glitter forums. (I'm not a member, but I check it often) Said, I wanted to put some of my fave, but I didn't want to register (on that forum) just for that. So I'm putting it here.

Adrian Tomine-Optic Nerve: I can't get enough of these. I love how edgy they are. I first picked up some copies a few years ago (#1 & 2), as well as one of his compliation books (Summer Blonde) and I ve been hooked since. My personal fave Story is "Bomb Scare".

Marjane Satrapi-Persepolis: I did not pick this up until recently (like the past year). I've heard of the books before, but I didn't get that they were GRAPHIC NOVELS until I saw Inter/reviews of the movie in a couple zines I get. That was when I bought myself a copy of the Complete Perspolis (both books in one) as a belated Christmas present.

Mariko and Jillian Tamaki-Skim: I'd highly recommend this for any fan of Optic Nerve. Very similar in structure, told though an Asian (Canadian) teen's point of view in the late-early 90's. I think the issues in the book (cliques, finding yourself, homosexualty, suicide, etc) are pretty universal, no matter what era or situation. Plus I love how the the title character, as well as her friend Lisa look like as if they were pulled from The Ukiyo-e style artwork of the 1700-1800's.

Anything by Yuu Watase: I had to add some manga in here. I personally love Ceres: Celesrial Legend (although I honestly never gotten past the 8th volume), as well as Fushigi Yugi (both the original and the Genbu Kaiden prequel).

EDIT: I had to add two recent faves I found. Gothic Sports by a German author (Anike Hage) About A make-shift, gothic adorned High school soccer team full of misfits.
As well as The Wallflower (Think of as My Fair Lady at a bording house with in the Rex Harrison role, four bishonen boys living there and as Eliza Doolittle, the Landlady's ghostly, fashion-illiterate niece, who the four must make into a lady or they have to pay full rent).

Last edited by Diydiva81; 06-05-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Diydiva81 is offline   Reply With Quote