View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #20
Cataliste
Hero Slime

In-Game Name: Isharu
Current Level: 15
Server: Bijou
Cataliste is on a distinguished road
Honestly this is a big subject for me. When I was a young child religion was always forced on me. I was always told Catholics/Pagans/Mormons/etc. where all going to hell. Apparently Southern Baptist was the only way to go.

Luckily when I was 13 I began to think. From my own observations and views on how things worked I decided to not believe in a God. I knew it was impossible to prove he did not exist, but I couldn't force myself to believe without proof.

Any-who, to the subject. I think it's wrong. Children should not be force-fed that type of information. They should not be made to worship one way or another. They should be allowed to think freely and make a decision based on how they perceive the world.

Now, I am an Atheist, but I believe it is any man's right to choose to believe in what he/she wants to believe in, but I think brain washing, and recruitment through fear are disgusting.

@Yosei: You are right. It does, more often than not, teach a child to be close-minded of others beliefs. Being close-minded leads to intolerance of those beliefs. I think you should talk to your nephew in private and tell him that he should believe what he wants to believe, and not be afraid of what others will think about him for it. "You can't please everyone."