View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
In any case, if given the option, I would not recommend getting a gaming laptop. The only reason I am considering one myself is because I need the performance and the mobility, as desk space is limited for me.

Just build a good desktop.

An i7-900 series processor will last you for a good five years. Keep in mind this is the cream of the crop right now, but I don't foresee too many games requiring the equivalent of 13 GHz+ processing capability. Graphics cards will continue to be improved, but I don't see anything toppling the i7s anytime soon.

RAM is relatively cheap. 4 GB is the gaming standard, with 8 GB being my preferred level.

i7-975 EE = $999
ATI Radeon 5870 = $379.99
2x 2 GB DDR3 RAM = $85
Asus Rampage II - RoG = $359.99

You've just built yourself a decent computer for only $1825. It'll last 4 years by everyone else's standards except the elite of the elite gamers.

I consider most computers less than $1000 as substandard. Excluding Macs.

And if you buy a crappy case/fan, you will melt your table.
Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote