View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Enraya
WONDERARCHER

Server: Teva
Enraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to behold
Crossbow vs. Bow

Lol, I know this topic has been posted before. I guess it's a matter of choice. But can someone give me a really detailed explanation? Here's my thoughts so far:

Crossbows outdamage bows by a hefty amount, and if you add in the skills, crossbows > bows. But bows can pull out 1 shot per 1.1 seconds, while crossbows are 1 shot per 1.4 seconds.

So ... let's say I'm not using any skills and is killing a 30 hp monster. The ratio of damage for bow to crossbow is approximately 1:2, so I hit 2 damage per shot for bows and 4 damage per shot for crossbows. If I use my crossbow, it takes 10 shots, over a period of 14 seconds. If I use a bow, it takes 15 shots, over a period of 16.5 seconds.

That, obviously, seems to defeat the point of bows being the faster one of the group. Of course, my calculations could be wrong, lol. I suck at math.

Anyways, critical hit percent. Bows have 4 percent critical hit, and crossbows 6 percent. Without any skill empowerment, builds, etc., bows would have every 4/100th shot crit and crossbows would have 6/100 shot crit. We kill a 100 hp monster. Crits double the damage.
With a crossbow, still using 4 damage per shot, that uses 25 shots to kill over a period of 35 seconds. Six of the shots crit, taking 48 damage altogether. That would leave us with 13 more shots regular shots to make. Together, with the crits and the normal damage, that takes us 26.6 seconds to finish off the monster.
Bows, still using 2 damage per shot, takes 50 shots to kill over a period of 55 seconds. Four of the shots crit, meaning that they take 16 damage altogether. That leaves the bow with 41 more shots to make, with a total of 45.1 seconds to finish off the monster.

Of course, my math is probably dreadfully off, but from what I can see here, crossbows clearly pwn bows. The only reason I'm still hesitation on this is because bows make smexeh archers ... and xbows don't. I'd love to see my archer with a gigantic bow crit the hell out of a monster, but she'll probably die in the process.

So, any advice from those that play advanced archers?