View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 AM   #18
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Yosei View Post
Before I post, I'll say yes I'm watching it, I'm at 17:21.

The reasons I am against doing drugs, and yes, I do consider marijuana a drug, is because:

1. Its illegal. So what if people want it legal? Obviously the government isn't changing their mind anytime soon. If its illegal... its illegal. Its just a plant, a plant that does effect people in idiotic ways. Go smoke an apple, go smoke a cigarette. Why would you want to risk getting arrested for something so little?

If your record is screwed up and you can't get a job because you wanted to get high... well good for you.
That's a fine bit of circular logic. The law should be obeyed just because it is the law? The law can't be wrong or unjust? If everyone held that view, we'd still have alcohol prohibition, we would still own slaves, and women wouldn't be allowed to vote.

"So what if people want it legal?" In a republic, the will of the people should be expressed by their representatives. Granted, this doesn't always happen, but if enough people are educated about the topic the debate can continue on. That's one of the big problems these days...the debate doesn't happen. Everyone just takes the word of an authority figure without doing their own research.

As for your sister, I sympathize with your situation. The root cause of her problems, however, aren't due to using weed or other drugs, but the misuse of them. I've known people who have done terrible things due to addition to gambling, alcohol, sex, drugs, hell, even video games. This is a problem because some people are more prone to addictive behavior. People that do responsibly use shouldn't be punished because some people aren't able to.