View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Well, here in India, it isn't as much of racism as caste discrimination. It all started of with the dominant religion here in India, Hinduism. I will make my views very clear. I do not like the concept of religion, and I strongly believe it is religion that causes most barriers between people.

What Hinduism basically tried to do was to divide society into 4 basic types. The first and supposedly "best" type was the teachers, priests and other men of supposed "intellect". The second type was the type of physical strength. The police force, the army, the security guards and so on. The third type was the traders, businessmen and the shopkeepers. The fourth type were the downtrodden. The type who did the menial jobs, sweeping, cleaning drains and other "dirty" jobs.

This system failed terribly, what with the introduction of "caste heredity( I hope I got that word right )". What I mean, is that a son of a barber must remain a barber, no matter what his intellectual capacity, and no matter if he could become greater than Einstein or something.

That really mangled things, and now the Indian government in an effort to "bring up" the downtrodden classes, has introduced a system of reservation where anywhere from 10-50% of the seats in an educational institution, the vacancies in a corporation and job openings in a company are reserved for these "backward classes". This does nothing except foster a hatred between these "backward classes" and the "normal people". There are no definitions as to who is "backward" and who is "normal". The "backward" people have certificates declaring they are "backward"(which can quite easily be forged by the way) and get an easy entrance into wherever they want, while a "normal" man of exceptional ability night not make the cut because a "backward" guy got in. And this does not even take into consideration the corruption and other red-tape involved in the issue.

This has led to further division in the classes, and is slowly choking the country, and is the basic form of racism present in India.

P.S. I like this section!

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder