Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #54
moparisthebest
Mushroom Fighter

Current Level: 6x
Server: Apoline
moparisthebest is on a distinguished road
Expose them to drinking?
Or R-Rated movies?
Please take in that they are very different than swearing.
Expose them to drinking early can cause health problems, I think we all know that.
R-Rated movies we don't want the young to see any sexual/violence.

But why do I say that it's not so bad when they see it now? Because swearing isn't always 'bad'. I'm not saying it's good; I'm saying that there is no harm in swearing if it's not used for offense.
'They're going to watch it when they're 18+' - let them if they want to. It's not like they're going to start turning violent. Push them to not watch any 18+ movies? That is also fine, just be careful not to push them too much or they might get stressed which leads to violence anyway.
'Be an alcoholic' - How are you sure they are 100% going to become alcoholic? It's not like everybody is alcoholic, but swearing is absolutely a common act. Alcoholic is 'bad' in every way and surely the kids can receive teaching of it's effects and accidents that have occured between alcoholic people.
Why isn't swearing always as bad as it is?
Have you ever sworn once? If so when? Why did you swear? Does that mean that you're becoming lazy/violent/disobedient? I highly doubt that.
You say the 'F' word. Does that mean you're a failure in life?
You say it when you're sad/angry or when you're shocked. Does that mean you should wash your mouth? That's what I mean by 'not as bad' as you may say something but it doesn't necessarily mean you think bad.
Why does swearing mean that it's 100% offensive?

I say "oh s---" does that mean I'm offending people? Am I targeting anyone by saying this? Nope, this is just a mere sign of surprise.

As for swearing excessively, I thought this was okay in the All the Rage board. I thought that board was just for people to release their anger and people wouldn't mind, but would if I said it on another different discussion. And so I was mistaken then.