Old 05-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #20
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
I'll just talk a little about why we came up with the rule in the first place.

Note: This is not a post telling you that what I'm gonna say is the "final say", but just to give you all a little more perspective on why we decided that in more detail - because I believe all we've said so far on the public forums was "to prevent flaming". And I repeat, it is NOT the final say or anything, just a post to bring up the Pros of having the rule in a bit more detail (since the Cons are listed and talked about a lot more so far).

The main reason has actually been stated already - it is hard to distinguish which "truth" is the "real truth". During high school English class, we had a whole term on the subject "Truth". I used to think it was really crazy, I mean, having to spend 10 weeks learning about "Truth", but I can see why they did that now.

It is not so much too much work for the mods - but more of what is the "truth", the "real" perspective, the "fact", and what is not? The people on one side of the story sees a certain "truth" while the people on the other side sees something else as "truth" - hence it is difficult for us to draw a line because things like this are really subjective to each individual's perspective. Is it "fair" to bring out screenshots of one person, when the other have no idea they are being posted and thus are not given the opportunity to defend themselves? Cases like scammers and hackers, of course, are probably an exception, but we are mainly worried about rants relating to in game behaviours.

Take an example.

Me and Yosei are training a spot. Rightclaw and Fullback comes along and decides to try and take our spots and start ksing. Yosei and I tells them to go away, but it doesn't work. Hence we proceed to ks them back in attempt to try and make them shoo. Rightclaw screens us ksing them, goes to a forum which Yosei and I have no knowledge of, and posts about it there. "Yosei and Blaaaahs are KSers! Proven in this screenshot. Watch out for these ksers". Now it is wrong that Yosei and I ksed back - yes I see that. But hey, the people reading on the thread are only getting ONE side of the story.

I am against people getting one side of the story. It is often the thing that makes people dislike each other for the wrong reasons.

Like a previous member had mentioned, what do we gain from naming names? The Rant forum was originally created for people give out rants, not trying to single a particular person out of the community because they did something wrong. Yes, they may have done something wrong, but as the community grows, there shall be countless of "bad" people appearing, how many can we single out? And how many can we say for sure that the names have been named for a justified reason?

Now, this is the internet where all types of people appear. Mature people, immature people, old people, young people, intelligent people, the not-so-intelligent people, the open minded ones, the close minded ones - the list is endless. We had placed the rule out there in the first place because we cannot assume that only mature and intelligent people come to this forum. We have to take in mind there are young people, those who are inexperienced to the internet, those who are the ones that easily catch on the "flame". Hence we put the rule out there to prevent these type of people to come here, get upset themselves, and then respond aggressively and upset others.

We, the mods, were (and at the moment, are) not agreeing to the method of wait-till-a-"flame"-breaks-out-before-addressing-the-problem. Why must we wait for our members to get upset? Why must we wait till our members yell and verbally abuse each other before we step in?

As for site's reputation - we care about that. How can we not? Why do we mod this forum? We mod this forum for the members. We want this forum to grow for our members. And for this forum to grow, it must maintain a good reputation. Now, I am addressing the issue about people coming here to hate the site rather than the poster him/herself when they are being named on the forum. Yes, the person being named should just hold it against the thread started, but when more members reply to it (and probably in most cases, agree to it), then they will take it against the forum. Also, like I said before, it is the internet - all types of people come here. Whether they are or are not supposed to look at things like that - we can't stop how they feel and they will post their feelings and probably upset others as well as themselves.

Now, what will they do? They will turn their back on us, go to another forum, and speak about this fansite in a degrading way. While we, on the other hand, have no idea they are speaking bad about us - and we are not given the opportunity to defend ourselves - which is very much similar to what would happen if names are named on the forum. See how that happens? I am not saying it is the same, but, it is similar to a certain extent.

I think that is almost everything I had wanted to say. I can't really remember much because I am really tired atm, but I want to repeat: this post is NOT made to be read as a "final say" thing, but just to give everyone an insight on what has been said in the mod forums from before. I guess my main point was that we had not thrown the rule out just like "that", but we did discuss and think it through - though we are up for more changes if it is needed.
Blaaaaaaaah is offline   Reply With Quote