Fiesta Fan Forums

Fiesta Fan Forums (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mature Discussions (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   I think I've found the meaning of life. Literally. (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17723)

Belaslav 02-12-2009 04:47 AM

I think I've found the meaning of life. Literally.

Yea, you heard me. I know this sounds crazy coming from a guy who is obsessed with Halo & Crysis (and mistakes notebooks for smoke bombs...)

Today I accidentally stumbled upon this Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasure_center

and after I read the part about the rodents, it hit me....

The meaning of life is... Pleasure! No wait... Let me rephraze. I don't just mean sex, or drugs, etc. I mean anything that stimulates our nervous system to the point of EXTREME happiness, whether it's an adrenaline rush from skydiving or bungee jumping. I mean if you think about it, that's our main purpose: To experience as many EXTREME feelings as possible in our lifetime. I mean, that's why some people turn to drugs, or sex, or bungee jumping. I mean, if you had a choice between your current life, and the ability to be eternally happy, you would take that happiness? Some of you might say no, but I bet that once you have a taste of that happiness, you would jump in there really fast. I mean, look at those rats. As soon as they got the feeling of it, they did that to the point of death from dehydration and hunger. All they had to do was to press that pedal, and they got high like people on crack, except no matter how many times you do it, it never gets dull!

Think about it.... And maybe leave a comment or two.

Hessah 02-12-2009 04:52 AM

I pretty much have the same view as you.. (or the article? cant tell if u typed it or copied from somewhere)

I believe that life should be enjoyed with happiness.

Ivramire 02-12-2009 04:53 AM

I thought it was pretty much accepted that the purpose of life was to be as happy as you can be in the limited time you have.

You of course, have to balance this against everyone else's needs and happiness because you being happy could very well mean someone else in the world being sad.

There's also other meanings to life, such as the route of trying to make the world 'a better place,' reconciling yourself with eventual dissolution and the question of God, whether there's a greater purpose to it all etc.

Belaslav 02-12-2009 05:00 AM

But that's the thing about it! Once you try it, all of that wouldn't matter, what only matters is the feeling itself. This can be worse than drugs... I can only imagine what would happen to humanity if... THAT happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medonovan
"In truth, we are all completely out of control."

Damn. I almost regret posting this...

Ivramire 02-12-2009 05:02 AM

That would be the goal of life then, but maybe not the meaning of it.

Yosei 02-12-2009 05:46 AM

Yeah its more of a goal. Of course everyone wants to be happy, but its where you find it that counts IMO. Then selfishness comes into consideration. You can't just be happy.. you have to work for it, and also try to make sure others around you are happy as well.

Pritcher 02-12-2009 06:21 AM

There is no meaning to life. Life is far too complex to be bound within a single universal "meaning".

As for the pursuit of pleasure being being one of the primary goals of one's life... hell I figured that out on my own as child when I first discovered that toys and playing made me happy. :P

Vasu 02-12-2009 07:04 AM

My goal in life is to live it all trusting my mind, living by logic and not giving in to my instinct when there's a logical alternative. If that kills me, I'll have died happy.

Warning_Shot 02-12-2009 10:39 AM

I realized this while laying on my mates trampoline. I mean, really. We work for money. We spend money on things that make our life more enjoyable. People even go to wars for religion, because they enjoy believing in something. It all comes down to pleasure.

Vasu 02-12-2009 10:53 AM

But Bela, what you've found is the purpose of life. Atleast the purpose that is obvious to us. We might be part of a bigger plan, that we will not know. To be honest, I never really understood what they mean when they ask the meaning of life. It ultimately means the goal of life right?