Fiesta Fan Forums

Fiesta Fan Forums (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Literature Corner (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   What are you currently reading? (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23255)

Pritcher 08-29-2009 08:15 AM

What are you currently reading?

If anything?

Just a random question of pure curiosity really. Whatchya reading at the moment? For fun I mean; not like textbooks or anything. I know this will probably die with few to no responses, but wth, eh?

I have a few novels I'm working on:

Anna Karenina - I've wanted to delve into Tolstoy for a long time but never found the time. I chose this over War and Peace because War and Peace is like.... 9000 pages long. Very good so far. Who knew I would care so much about the romantic lives of the old Russian aristocracy?

Chapterhouse Dune - I haven't gotten far in it actually. I liked all the other Dune novels, but I just can't get into this one so far.

Club Dead - The third book in the Sookie Stackhouse novels. A guilty pleasure I guess. I got into, was forced into rather, that True Blood show and I'm not a patient man, so I went for the novels after I caught up on the show. Decent books I guess. I have complaints, but they're OK. One of the extremely few instances where I actually prefer the adaptation to the original source though.

Bout it for me, aside from a bunch of manga I half-way keep tabs on.

Loveless 08-29-2009 08:24 AM

I'm actually waiting on a few books to be released by some of my favourite authors.

206 Bones by Kathy Reichs and Bones of Betrayal by Jefferson Bass. Both books are on forensic anthropology and goes in-depth with the science of it. Though the cases are graphic (ie. plane crash victims, mutilated corpses, etc) I still find them good. Hopefully they'll be coming out soon in paperback...

Book I'm actually read is Blood Dreams by Kay Hooper. It was a book I picked up by accident at the library thinking it was another author. But accidents can actually be a good thing. This ones was about psychics who are with the FBI helping to solve extraordinary cases.

I recently read Predator by Patricia Cornwell. This had me in the dark until the very last page. I don't want to ruin it for anyone who may be reading or plan on it but... in crude terms it was a bit of a mind fck on the edge of being surreal.

The other books are design books for my school and manga. But if anyone has a good mystery genre to recommend that would be great.

Pritcher 08-29-2009 08:33 AM

Cool, my mother is into those Kathy Reichs books, but I haven't tried any. She got into them after she got into the show, "Bones", for obvious reasons.

Not especially into the "whodunnit" genre myself though. Can't really recommend any mysteries. Sorry. :/

Loveless 08-29-2009 08:43 AM

Ohh... I've never actually watched the TV show. Just randomly picked up the book and later found out there was a show based on it.

One of the reasons I like the book is because the main character isn't some helpless lady. And of course the science which I already mentioned.

When I was younger I used to read books in the fantasy genre (magic, witches, etc)... but not Harry Potter, couldn't get into that book for some reason after the 4th.

Hraesvelg 08-29-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pritcher (Post 375609)
Club Dead - The third book in the Sookie Stackhouse novels. A guilty pleasure I guess. I got into, was forced into rather, that True Blood show and I'm not a patient man, so I went for the novels after I caught up on the show. Decent books I guess. I have complaints, but they're OK. One of the extremely few instances where I actually prefer the adaptation to the original source though.

Isn't that the truth. I started watching True Blood purely for Anna Paquin's breasts but found it to be a fun little popcorn show. Sex, violence, humor. Between Season 1 and 2 I read the whole book series and the changes they've made from the source material have been amazing. Also, it's enough of a change that even having read the books I'm not entirely sure what is going to happen in the TV series.

As for what I'm currently reading, I've got a few I'm juggling:

Rabbi Jesus by Bruce Chilton

The Structure of Evolutionary Theory by Stephen Jay Gould. I've had this one on my list for a year or more. It's incredibly dense reading. It takes a while to process.

And for my little fluff book to take breaks from the heavy hitting, I'm in the middle of Prime Directive by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. I've read it a few times now. It's just a good Trek story.

08-29-2009 09:24 AM

im reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
a book my mom got and its about a guy going
to rehab eh im sleepy all ima type ^.~

Hraesvelg 08-29-2009 09:26 AM

I just hope you realize that book is fiction. The author lied his ass off.

Hessah 08-29-2009 10:20 AM

I rarely read... LOL But I happen to be reading a book called "Seven Seaons in Aurukun"

It's not actually a fiction book, this lady went to a remote community in Australia and lived there for almost 2 years, and she talks about what it was like to be living out there, and the culture difference that she sees, and a lot about what Aboriginal communities are actually like.. (through her eyes..)

it's a bit of a reality check to make us appreciate all that we've got in the cities, and learn about what those communities actually want / need, respect them... and not just us outsiders (or politicians) going in and doing watever and just "saying" that it's the best for them, when it's not actually what they want...

kaylaspot1996 08-29-2009 12:31 PM

Well since i am a teen, i just finished the Twilight series!:laugh:
and honestly Breaking Dawn is my favorite out of them all
but the book im reading right now is Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison

Phantom Badger 08-29-2009 04:27 PM

The last book I read was either the D.Gray-man Manga Or The latest Darren Shan book "Dark Calling" I think it's called.

Ivramire 08-29-2009 06:34 PM

Been away for a while...

Rereading Pullman's Dark Materials. Movie wasn't worth the electricity required to show it but the books take me back.

Checking out Anne Rice's non-vampire novels, post finding Christianity ''again.'' They are not good...

Browsing Steven Erikson's fantasy Malazan series, pretty well-done but seems to lose the thread at times.

Looking into more Gaiman and Pratchett/ browsing through forums trying to figure out how to unscrew my computer's technical catastrophe...

MikeyG 08-29-2009 06:52 PM

OMG THERES A NEW BOOK IN THE DEMONATA SERIES BDEX? :zomg::zomg:

Im currently reading The Messianic Legacy.

secbro20 08-29-2009 08:23 PM

I've been meaning to find another good book to get into, but I haven't been reading as much as I'd like.

The last book that I read was Atlas Shrugged. though I've been reading manga/comics since then.

A_Forever 08-29-2009 08:58 PM

I'm reading Battle Royale. Yes, still. I get annoyed at myself when I read books too fast and then have nothing to read for a while.

I'm almost done with Battle Royale and will need to find another book to take to school with me since I'll be done with BR before school starts.

Hraesvelg 08-29-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivramire (Post 375688)
Checking out Anne Rice's non-vampire novels, post finding Christianity ''again.'' They are not good...

That should have been obvious, LOL. She wrote one good book (Interview) and phoned it in for the next twenty years.

Pritcher 09-05-2009 12:59 AM

Really? I actually liked The Vampire Lestat more than Interview. It's been a decade or so since I've read them, but I think I might have liked Queen of the Damned more too. Louis was never as compelling a character as Lestat to me.

There was a decline after those though, I actually stopped reading after Memnoch the Devil; I started The Vampire Armand, but I never even finished that. I think I read Merrick out of order though. To each their own.

Hraesvelg 09-05-2009 01:09 AM

Eh, the whole Gabrielle thing from Lestat really didn't sit well. It was a little TOO Oedipal. The things that really made it a drag to read was the cookie-cutter descriptions. The stories in Lestat and Queen of the Damned were more interesting, but she did just rehash a LOT of stuff from book to book. I swear, I twitch every time I hear someone mention Botticelli.

Pritcher 09-05-2009 01:15 AM

Lol, yeah. I can see that. That whole Oedipus Complex thing was taken pretty far there. xD

I think Rice is a fan of tapping into taboo sexual scenarios in general though.

Phantom Badger 09-06-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyG (Post 375691)
OMG THERES A NEW BOOK IN THE DEMONATA SERIES BDEX? :zomg::zomg:

Im currently reading The Messianic Legacy.

There is in England o: I think wolf Island is the latest one in the US. We have Dark Calling now.

MikeyG 09-07-2009 08:51 AM

Yeah but wolf island came out a couple months ago, we should have the new one soon.

/freakout

:cutielove::love::cutielove:

Phantom Badger 09-07-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyG (Post 377673)
Yeah but wolf island came out a couple months ago, we should have the new one soon.

/freakout

:cutielove::love::cutielove:

The next book to come out here is the last one, Hells Heroes.

Lady-Loki 09-08-2009 12:43 AM

I have been on a re-read kick of late. I bought a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo to try to get my grandson to read something other than books with dragons in them, but he was having nothing to do with it so since it was a good book I am re-reading it, and I have a copy of Wuthering Heights sitting on the end table as the next in line. When I finish those I will decide whether to visit another re-read or pick back up on an autobiography by Ozzie Nelson.

Yami 10-11-2009 11:12 PM

Right now I'm reading the 'Kingmaker, kingbreaker' series. I'm at the end of the first book x.x

A_Forever 10-11-2009 11:15 PM

I have finished 3 books in the past week.

"The Last Days", "The Truth About Forever" and "Perfect Strangers"

The last two are pretty girly xD

EDIT: And please don't close this thread. We're adding to it! I enjoy hearing about what other people are reading o:

Phantom Badger 10-13-2009 06:38 AM

Just finished reading 'The Catcher in the Rye' and 'An Inspector Calls' for school.
Gunna buy 'Hells Heroes' this weekend to finish Darren Shan's Demonata Series :3
Although I'm also buying a new game so I dunno which to use D;

EDIT:
Oh, also I wanted to pick uo Ozzy Osbourne's Autobiography at some point.

Hraesvelg 10-13-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDragonEX (Post 384341)
EDIT:
Oh, also I wanted to pick uo Ozzy Osbourne's Autobiography at some point.

Oh, gods. I hope he read the audiobook. I would so listen to it.

Edit: Haven't read anything for fun recently, just work related shit.

Ivramire 10-13-2009 06:44 AM

Neil Gaiman.

Read Anansi Boys and going for The Graveyard Book next.

secbro20 10-13-2009 11:21 AM

I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It is absolutely hilarious.

Lady-Loki 10-13-2009 04:47 PM

Finished the two I listed previously and started reading The Chronicles of Narnia this week. This book is thick enough to be a booster seat for a small child - LOL. It is the edition that includes The Magician's Nephew, which was written after the first series but that C. L. Lewis intended should be read first. So it is basically all seven books rolled into one cover.

Should keep me busy a while.

Hraesvelg 10-13-2009 07:17 PM

That's a great series, even if it does get a bit preachy at the end.

Ivramire 10-13-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg (Post 384436)
That's a great series, even if it does get a bit preachy at the end.

Understatement.

Started and finished the series when I was around 12 or 13. Was a block-headed little goober so I didn't really catch any of the supposedly obvious Christian allusion and metaphor in the books. (Yes, not even the Stone-table Aslan scene) But even I could realize that the author was spreading it thick by the Last Battle.

Liked the Calormene at the end though.

Hraesvelg 10-13-2009 10:15 PM

Especially when it makes such a terrible metaphor. You don't have to have faith when you have an oversized talking lion.

Jikanu 10-26-2009 10:32 PM

Currently reading "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and The Complete Works of Poe. Finished reading "The Good Earth" a while back too.

Ivramire 10-26-2009 10:40 PM

Reading some of Franz Kafka's stories.

Not really enjoying it though.

A_Forever 11-22-2009 03:58 AM

^lolbot

I am reading Misery by Stephen King

aramil001 11-22-2009 01:42 PM

The Millenium Saga bu Stieg Larsson
Book 1: The girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Book 2: The girl who played with fire
waiting for book 3 to come out in english T.T

Fighterboy 11-22-2009 02:42 PM

I like books by:
Cornelia Funke
Roland Smith
And The 39 Clues.

MikeyG 11-22-2009 06:57 PM

Yo Bdex you know what the the one after wolf island is called? It's still not out over here.

And I'm currently reading The Historian ... again lol 900 page re read ftl.

tweeety 12-18-2009 03:48 AM

Reading "Tales From the Crypt" XD
Actually I'm trying to reread my Lemoni Snicket books (series of unfortunate events) cause since it's Christmass, I'm hoping I get the ones I don't have as presents, and if I do, I wanna start reading them straight away and if I haven't reread the first ones then I'll be like "what's she talking about?"

lol, I remember borrowing Misery from the school library.. twice. Never even got past the shinning X_X (it was a three book compilation and when you've got school assignments coming out the wazoo, two weeks are not enough to read all of them... heck two weeks aren't enough to even read one).

I kept telling myself I'd re-borrow them when I had time but... well, though I do now, I don't think I can considering I graduated in October X_X.

I wanna read Poe's stuff but I can never find it anywhere. There's a complete Poe drought in my city!~!

Tamashiiryuu 12-18-2009 04:10 AM

The Lost Symbol...