Fiesta Fan Forums

Fiesta Fan Forums (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Literature Corner (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   What are you currently reading? (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23255)

Ivramire 08-29-2009 06:34 PM

Been away for a while...

Rereading Pullman's Dark Materials. Movie wasn't worth the electricity required to show it but the books take me back.

Checking out Anne Rice's non-vampire novels, post finding Christianity ''again.'' They are not good...

Browsing Steven Erikson's fantasy Malazan series, pretty well-done but seems to lose the thread at times.

Looking into more Gaiman and Pratchett/ browsing through forums trying to figure out how to unscrew my computer's technical catastrophe...

MikeyG 08-29-2009 06:52 PM

OMG THERES A NEW BOOK IN THE DEMONATA SERIES BDEX? :zomg::zomg:

Im currently reading The Messianic Legacy.

secbro20 08-29-2009 08:23 PM

I've been meaning to find another good book to get into, but I haven't been reading as much as I'd like.

The last book that I read was Atlas Shrugged. though I've been reading manga/comics since then.

A_Forever 08-29-2009 08:58 PM

I'm reading Battle Royale. Yes, still. I get annoyed at myself when I read books too fast and then have nothing to read for a while.

I'm almost done with Battle Royale and will need to find another book to take to school with me since I'll be done with BR before school starts.

Hraesvelg 08-29-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivramire (Post 375688)
Checking out Anne Rice's non-vampire novels, post finding Christianity ''again.'' They are not good...

That should have been obvious, LOL. She wrote one good book (Interview) and phoned it in for the next twenty years.

Pritcher 09-05-2009 12:59 AM

Really? I actually liked The Vampire Lestat more than Interview. It's been a decade or so since I've read them, but I think I might have liked Queen of the Damned more too. Louis was never as compelling a character as Lestat to me.

There was a decline after those though, I actually stopped reading after Memnoch the Devil; I started The Vampire Armand, but I never even finished that. I think I read Merrick out of order though. To each their own.

Hraesvelg 09-05-2009 01:09 AM

Eh, the whole Gabrielle thing from Lestat really didn't sit well. It was a little TOO Oedipal. The things that really made it a drag to read was the cookie-cutter descriptions. The stories in Lestat and Queen of the Damned were more interesting, but she did just rehash a LOT of stuff from book to book. I swear, I twitch every time I hear someone mention Botticelli.

Pritcher 09-05-2009 01:15 AM

Lol, yeah. I can see that. That whole Oedipus Complex thing was taken pretty far there. xD

I think Rice is a fan of tapping into taboo sexual scenarios in general though.

Phantom Badger 09-06-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyG (Post 375691)
OMG THERES A NEW BOOK IN THE DEMONATA SERIES BDEX? :zomg::zomg:

Im currently reading The Messianic Legacy.

There is in England o: I think wolf Island is the latest one in the US. We have Dark Calling now.

MikeyG 09-07-2009 08:51 AM

Yeah but wolf island came out a couple months ago, we should have the new one soon.

/freakout

:cutielove::love::cutielove: