Fiesta Fan Forums

Fiesta Fan Forums (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mature Discussions (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   What is with all the gay hate? (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18832)

iheartmyibook 03-20-2009 06:50 AM

What is with all the gay hate?

just what the title says
i mean does someone being gay really have any impact over someone else? What difference does it make either way? But still there seems to be some people who take it upon themselves to hate them for something they can't change.

Ivramire 03-20-2009 07:05 AM

It's a very dividing and controversial thing.

There's loads of reasons why someone may be against homoseuality. It could have a religious background, most of the major religions are against it. They could be insecure about something they don't likely understand. Most societys are more conservative than not, so it carries a social stigma. Lots of reasons really.

Hraesvelg 03-20-2009 08:35 AM

But there aren't any valid reasons. And no, homosexuality being against someone's religion isn't a valid reason.

Ivramire 03-20-2009 08:40 AM

I didn't say they were valid reasons.

Just saying what reasons one may have.

Hraesvelg 03-20-2009 08:49 AM

Right. I was just clarifying it a bit, since you said there were "lots of reasons". Almost sounded like you were giving validity to the reasons you stated. I mean, the reason could be the person living in your pinky finger told you gay people were icky, but that wouldn't be a valid reason, heh.

Senyx The Soulless one 03-20-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartmyibook (Post 310082)
just what the title says
i mean does someone being gay really have any impact over someone else? What difference does it make either way? But still there seems to be some people who take it upon themselves to hate them for something they can't change.

What's RIGHT with being homosexual?
They've been getting owned since they popped up on the earth, In most the religions i've seen, If you commited an act of homosexuality, It meant like, Auto-death

Nowadays, If you're gay and live anywhere even remotely shady, Chances are, There are people around there that want to do the same thing. I personally don't care about homosexuality, I'm prety secure in my straightness. But i've seen open acts of homosexuality IN PUBLIC that have sent shivers down mah spine.
Nothing wrong with being gay. Sure.
Tell that to the thousansd of generations before us.

Yosei 03-20-2009 03:47 PM

I'd say its mostly a Bible-hugging Christian issue and the fact that its different, uncommon.

I say bible-hugging christian because not all christians are against homosexuality and discriminate against it. But there are those who take the bible word for word and when it says one man cannot lie with another man, they assume its saying homosexuality is wrong. But its not just christianity, a lot of religions are against it.

And not to mention, its normal for people to be against or be uncomfortable with something uncommon, and homosexuality, while its becoming more common, is an uncommon thing. Except for select cultures in their day, homosexuality hasn't been seen as natural or normal, just like other sexualities such as pedophilia, which has been around since ancient times. Or even in the early 1900s... people who were mentally challenged were looked at like they had the plague, Hitler would kill mentally challenged people, many people were afraid it was contageous, when they were just born that way.

It makes me think of The Hunch Back of Notre Dame lol.

When you see someone, such as a dwarf, someone with a physical mutation, or something of the likes, you're going to look at them, even if you don't stare like its Jesus riding by on a tricycle, but you're going to look, even if for a second, because its different.

Manzcar 03-20-2009 03:49 PM

I think people throw around the word hate way too much. If someone doesn't agree with a lifestyle or the way a person acts than it is because they hate. Why is that?

I don't agree with the lifestyle of someone in my mothers neighborhood. I think it is unclean to have 45 cats and 20 dogs living in a 2 bedroom house. But that doesn't mean I hate them. I just find it icky.

But it seems that today you are not allowed to have your own opinion. If you disagree with the views of others than it's because you hate them.

So if someone doesn't agree with me is that because the hate me or is it because they have a different opinion.

Triumph 03-20-2009 03:54 PM

People find others who are "different" from them as something to avoid. It does not necessarily have to be a "Bible-hugging Christian," for there are many people who dislike gays simply because they are, and for a lack of a better way to state it, gay. People can't tolerate someone being different, and that is the stem of all conflict.

A person is smart. People are stupid.

Lady-Loki 03-20-2009 06:15 PM

I say the hate (regardless of the prejudice) is a learned opinion. No human was born with hate in their heart - they learned it from those around them.

Personally I think it is sad that hate seems to be so much easier for people to assimilate than love & kindness, but then again, if the numbers of people emanating hate were fewer and the number of people emanating love & kindness were greater, then maybe it would be the opposite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senyx The Soulless one (Post 310204)
What's RIGHT with being homosexual?
They've been getting owned since they popped up on the earth, In most the religions i've seen, If you commited an act of homosexuality, It meant like, Auto-death

Nowadays, If you're gay and live anywhere even remotely shady, Chances are, There are people around there that want to do the same thing. I personally don't care about homosexuality, I'm prety secure in my straightness. But i've seen open acts of homosexuality IN PUBLIC that have sent shivers down mah spine.
Nothing wrong with being gay. Sure.
Tell that to the thousansd of generations before us.

Just my opinion, but as for "open acts of homosexuality IN PUBLIC", I don't care to know specifics, but I expect that my reaction would have been the same for excess PDA (beyond holding hands, a hug or a loving kiss, and no, slobber-swapping is not a loving kiss), regardless of homosexual or heterosexual, since I believe intimatacy in a relationship should be personal & private between the two parties and not a public display.

Vasu 03-20-2009 06:45 PM

Like Manz said, you can hold your own opinion on the issue, but once it starts leaking into law, it should be stopped. Law should be treated objectively, and hence there should be no laws barring homosexuality in any way.

iheartmyibook 03-20-2009 06:50 PM

>.< all great thoughts thx for replying!

Leesa 03-20-2009 08:35 PM

Some people have different culutural background/beliefs/religions, so if they see something different or "not allowed" for them, they start thinking its bad. Homosexuality is not wrong, its love like anything else, and I just don't know why everyone think that gay love is dirty and as some people say it, "icky". I would like to see homosexuality as well as other things become accepted in society, but that obviously won't happen until a long time...

Jikanu 03-22-2009 04:26 PM

you can't always equate it to religion, as previously stated by some, since common sense sometimes overcomes that... I'm personally Catholic, but im totally pro gay-rights. as long as i'm not affected by it, i think they should have the right to do whatever they want. Homophobia's an annoying thing and our society will need to learn to overcome it before the world can have peace. People need to learn to understand and respect things, even if they're strange to them; they're not asking you to watch, so there's no big deal.

Kaidela 03-22-2009 06:34 PM

People hate for all kinds of reasons. Personally, I don't think homophobia is any better than racism. Gay people usually have less rights than everyone else, and that's wrong no matter what the reason is. :\

Jikanu 03-26-2009 11:06 PM

i think the core of all prejudices is a lack of understanding.

i mean, like, in some cases, if something is seriously wrong, like pedophilia or something, then it's not that... but when there's something that doesnt hurt anyone and stuff, it seems to be a lack of understanding, or a need to feel superior to someone.

AegisXOR 03-27-2009 01:31 PM

People are, by definition, flawed.

Genetics is just not perfect. In some cases, this manifests itself as a physical condition—Down's syndrome, congenital myopathy, etc. In others, it comes out in mentality. Schizophrenics, people with bipolar disorder..

People who're slightly luckier are the ones with inherent personality flaws. The inability to tolerate racial, ethnic, gender or preferential differences, for one. Of course, they may just be plain irritating.

Either way. I don't fault people for it, I just shake my head and move on.. unless they're a hardcore Christian, in which case I may occasionally force them into questioning their beliefs before leaving. =]

edit: Also, fun fact: many hardcore homophobes are suppressing some sort of homosexual tendencies, deep down. And an even greater percentage of people who are indifferent, but awkward, around homophobia are. I know these things from experience.

Senyx The Soulless one 03-30-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady-Loki (Post 310237)
I say the hate (regardless of the prejudice) is a learned opinion. No human was born with hate in their heart - they learned it from those around them.

Personally I think it is sad that hate seems to be so much easier for people to assimilate than love & kindness, but then again, if the numbers of people emanating hate were fewer and the number of people emanating love & kindness were greater, then maybe it would be the opposite.

Just my opinion, but as for "open acts of homosexuality IN PUBLIC", I don't care to know specifics, but I expect that my reaction would have been the same for excess PDA (beyond holding hands, a hug or a loving kiss, and no, slobber-swapping is not a loving kiss), regardless of homosexual or heterosexual, since I believe intimatacy in a relationship should be personal & private between the two parties and not a public display.

Well this thing in public was hands-down-the-hatch, And there were children around as well, Needless to say it was broken up shortly after, The fact still stands, If you're gay and you know it, Slap your hands. >.> Gross, gross.

Vasu 03-30-2009 02:04 PM

Any sexual acts in public are offensive, whether it's homosexual or heterosexual.

Senyx The Soulless one 03-30-2009 02:14 PM

Well personally, i would'nt complain if they were girls, but that would be hypocritical.

Sooooo yeah.

Hraesvelg 03-30-2009 05:35 PM

I'm curious...to what extent was this "open act of homosexuality"? That could include anything from kissing, to holding hands, to full on going at it.

FabledWaltz 03-30-2009 06:52 PM

I do not hate homosexuals. I do, however, hate those 'gays' who flutter around like a bunch of butterflies wearing rainbow colored clothes and talking that... certain... way. Ugh.

Senyx The Soulless one 03-30-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FabledWaltz (Post 314849)
I do not hate homosexuals. I do, however, hate those 'gays' who flutter around like a bunch of butterflies wearing rainbow colored clothes and talking that... certain... way. Ugh.

So you only hate gay guys? XD

FabledWaltz 03-30-2009 07:06 PM

Yeah, pretty much. xD

Loveless 03-30-2009 07:07 PM

This is 'mature discussions' so keep it that way.

Senyx The Soulless one 03-30-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loveless (Post 314854)
This is 'mature discussions' so keep it that way.

I didn't know i was being immature?

I was simply stating that all the things Waltz listed were directed toward the actions of gay men.

Not trying to be a kid about it or anything T_T

FabledWaltz 03-30-2009 07:20 PM

I do not think a little joke makes it "immature".

Loveless 03-30-2009 07:23 PM

It's not just jokes, I've already deleted a post that contained a quote and a "." which may be fine in other parts but does nothing around here. It's a reminder that this is in mature discussions.

FabledWaltz 03-30-2009 07:26 PM

Just because it is "Mature Discussions" does not mean we should have a stick up our asses. A light joke every now and then should be fine. I was merely stating my opinion on the matter and Senyx made a small joke. There is no need to get upset over it.

Yosei 03-30-2009 07:34 PM

Not all gay guys act like that. I think an appropriate word to use is flamboyant.

You dislike the flamboyant behavior that some may have.

I think Loveless is trying to say in a respectful way to respect the discussion and the others in this thread. Its supposed to be a mature discussion, not a place to joke about the things you dislike on the subject. Topics such as these can cause some users to be a bit sensitive, because some beliefs can be black and white, and its a touchy subject naturally.

FabledWaltz 03-30-2009 07:38 PM

Since people have trouble reading, let me summarize what I said, once more. I do not hate all homosexual men. I only hate the ones who find it necessary to make a mockery of their own sexuality.

Belisama 03-30-2009 09:34 PM

I don't hate gays. In fact, I support them. I am a practicing Christian, and yes, it might be against the bible, but that doesn't mean they don't have rights. It also doesn't mean they should be treated differently....

HindShight 04-21-2009 08:58 PM

"Gays" give me a big rubbery one because they fuel me with one more topic to make jokes about. :arg:

Square Root 06-02-2009 02:44 PM

In general, the human mind prefers a pattern and a single routine of life. Change is often scary and confusing to people who have not experienced it as much. Homosexuals are definately varying from the norm. People "Hate" them because they do not follow the norm which they consider to be hetrosexuals.