Fiesta Fan Forums

Fiesta Fan Forums (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archer (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Crossbow vs. Bow (http://www.fiestafan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2243)

Enraya 10-27-2007 07:24 AM

Crossbow vs. Bow

Lol, I know this topic has been posted before. I guess it's a matter of choice. But can someone give me a really detailed explanation? Here's my thoughts so far:

Crossbows outdamage bows by a hefty amount, and if you add in the skills, crossbows > bows. But bows can pull out 1 shot per 1.1 seconds, while crossbows are 1 shot per 1.4 seconds.

So ... let's say I'm not using any skills and is killing a 30 hp monster. The ratio of damage for bow to crossbow is approximately 1:2, so I hit 2 damage per shot for bows and 4 damage per shot for crossbows. If I use my crossbow, it takes 10 shots, over a period of 14 seconds. If I use a bow, it takes 15 shots, over a period of 16.5 seconds.

That, obviously, seems to defeat the point of bows being the faster one of the group. Of course, my calculations could be wrong, lol. I suck at math.

Anyways, critical hit percent. Bows have 4 percent critical hit, and crossbows 6 percent. Without any skill empowerment, builds, etc., bows would have every 4/100th shot crit and crossbows would have 6/100 shot crit. We kill a 100 hp monster. Crits double the damage.
With a crossbow, still using 4 damage per shot, that uses 25 shots to kill over a period of 35 seconds. Six of the shots crit, taking 48 damage altogether. That would leave us with 13 more shots regular shots to make. Together, with the crits and the normal damage, that takes us 26.6 seconds to finish off the monster.
Bows, still using 2 damage per shot, takes 50 shots to kill over a period of 55 seconds. Four of the shots crit, meaning that they take 16 damage altogether. That leaves the bow with 41 more shots to make, with a total of 45.1 seconds to finish off the monster.

Of course, my math is probably dreadfully off, but from what I can see here, crossbows clearly pwn bows. The only reason I'm still hesitation on this is because bows make smexeh archers ... and xbows don't. I'd love to see my archer with a gigantic bow crit the hell out of a monster, but she'll probably die in the process.

So, any advice from those that play advanced archers?

Kiedo 10-27-2007 08:05 AM

To fix your math:

Monster = 40hp
Bow = 2dmg, 1.1 asp
Xbow = 4dmg, 1.4 asp

Bow uses 20 shots in 22 seconds.
Xbow uses 10 shots in 14 seconds.

Xbow gets higher crit, more damage on enhancement and stronger burst skills. Bow gets more aim and looks better.

Phantom Badger 10-27-2007 09:45 AM

I picked bow fo the sole reason that multi-shot looks weird with a crossbow. Also i have a sun roumen bow +4

Azling 10-28-2007 10:43 AM

I Like The Awesome Bow's In The Game And They Look Cool
But Crossbow's Damage Is Way Better
So I Can't Decide And BlackdragonEX Nice Avatar And Sig

Grudger 11-06-2007 08:44 PM

They could do something with the bows like put it's crit to 6 and put xbow crit to 4 since bow is weaker anyway. xbow could be strong in atk but weaker in crit and bow could be weaker in atk but stronger in crit. I would like to use a bow but right now xbow is just in because it is better. bow is weaker in crit and atk. not fair and the aim isn't even that greater in bow than xbow. Make it a reason to use bow than just go straight to xbow. really the only reason people use bows right now is that they look cool.

O-mie 11-06-2007 10:08 PM

xbow works better the more DoT skills you have. At first, I had two GGK bows - a normal and a cross bow. I planned to use xbow for skills and normal for melee but in the end things would die before I could really switch off to normal bow, so I just sold it in the end and stuck to crossbow. =s

Pedobear 11-06-2007 10:13 PM

you wont see the benefits of the bow till much later in the game, any only if you are a heavy str build.

once your base damage starts to have more of an effect on how much damage you deal than your weapon, then the bow will start to outdps the xbow. but the xbow will ALWAYS be the pick for skill spamming.

Bertinator 11-07-2007 12:31 AM

So, the xbow is better than the bow?

Blaaaaaaaah 11-07-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertinator (Post 38503)
So, the xbow is better than the bow?

I wouldn't say there's a definite answer, I think it's all just personal preference...

Hessah 11-07-2007 01:38 AM

so if i was a full dex archer... should i go bow to enhance my build...

or i can go xbow.. coz i've compensated the downside of an xbow (lower accuracy) with my build...?